Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rant on Retro Gaming

            A pretty big kick I have been on lately is retro gaming.  Inspired by great episodes of Retro Game Masters dubbed and subtitled for english speaking audiences airing on Kotaku every Thursday night, I have been playing on my Wii Virtual Console as well as my 3D Classics ExciteBike for 3DS.  If you don't know much about the show its an english version of Game Center CX from Japan, the premise is Arino must complete retro games to earn "promotions" in the Game Center company.  The games he plays are sometimes multi-ending as well as straight through such as Bonanza Bros. for the Sega Mega Drive, over here known as the Sega Genesis.  I loved that game growing up and still do, but sadly am unable to find the hookups for my old Genesis.  The best two episodes were, one of a game I want to play so bad it hurts and have wanted to for years, Clock Tower: The First Fear for the Super Nintendo Entertainment Center; the other being Septentrion, over here released for the SNES as S.O.S. that video I have probably watched about 3 or more times laughing so hard.

              As I said about Retro gaming lately, I have been absorbed in Xenogears for the Playstation, and played for about five hours straight on Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube, not necessarily "Retro" but almost 10 years old so it counts to me.  I'll definitely be getting some more retro gaming on with my 3DS in the near future with the 3DS Ambassador Program Nintendo set up for people like me that purchased the 3DS in its earlier months as I got mine a month ago.  If you don't know about the Ambassador program, it gives 10 free NES games on the 3DS virtual console for free starting September 1st, then by the end of the year another 10 free GameBoy Advance games to go with it.  Right now with my kick on Retro gaming, I'm loving the ambassador program enough that it don't bother me the $80 price cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment