Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Integrating elements of games into story

            Integrating elements of a game into the story of the game is something I think all of us like.  Rather than the game trying to explain things if it uses stuff at its disposal.  A few examples in case you're unsure what I am talking about is, in Xenogears late in the game you find out that your whole journey is being watched through your save points.  Then with Final Fantasy VIII the party discovers that their past was being erased slowly by the Guardian forces (Summons) you've used since the beginning of the game.  But more recently, Bioshock 2 at the beginning your Big Daddy is hit with the hypnotise plasmid introduced in the first game, forced to kill himself, then years later comes back through the revival tubes placed throughout Rapture.

           More often then not a game has elements such as these that are readily available to be used and written into a better story, but rather goes with a lackluster one, a good example of this is Fallout 3, this as I said before was one of my favorite games, and the story is great, but wouldn't it be better if it involved something such as the PipBoy from the beginning or a secret within your vault, documents through the game lead you to understand that some vaults were equipped with various different things, why not that have been a big element of the plot?  I can't help but think that something like this could really be a big addition to the plot.  On the contrary, Fallout: New Vegas did this very well with the Platinum chip opening up a whole army of securitrons with missiles and upgrades to the current securitrons throughout Vegas.  The glaring problem is how it goes from this to the Hoover Dam being pivotal to the ending of the game, I like NCR's armor but the Legion I got along with, so I didn't side with either until the very end when you have to pick one, that made me upset, why couldn't I give it to the Brotherhood of Steel, I had the stupid Chip, so I should have had the power.

That's about it for this one, thanks for reading, I could go on, but it would just be more rambling about examples versus how it could have been done.  =^_^=

No comments:

Post a Comment