Thursday, March 17, 2011

The cake is not a lie

            A few years back when I bought my Xbox 360, I picked up a few games Walmart had rather cheap.  One of them that I got bought was The Orange Box by Valve.  I played a little of Half-Life 2 and just kinda glanced at Portal.  In the past few days, not having a job has taken its toll on boredom, so during a break from Deadly Premonition, I popped in  The Orange Box.  I started from my old save I started a few months back when I wanted to see what the fuss was about.  Portal has become insanely popular and with good reason.  I only had a few levels left and played until the finish.

            The level after the one I started back onto, it was Testchamber 18, and the beginning was a quote I heard online that still brings smiles to my face when I think of it.  "The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, then there will be cake"  In the dullest monotone robotic voice, but with some kind of evilness underlying up to this point, now we hear GlaDos finally come right out and basically say "We're going to kill you, and eat your cake".  I've already stated previously that I love survival horror, but now I think that Portal has taken my heart.  I absolutely love this game, its amazing, not only does it have puzzles to the point your brain wants to breakout through your ears and smack your console for insulting it.  The graphics are good, maybe not up to par with most current games released, but in its defense, this game was released originally on the PC before the 360 and PS3's graphics engines, not only that, but what more could you want, the areas are highly detailed and so is your character model if you look through your portals at her.  If they could have nailed down realistic water effects, there are no complaints about graphics.  Gameplay is good as well as physics, "Speedy thing goes through portal, speedy thing comes out of portal."  Then the ending and confrontation of GlaDos was a hilarious battle listening to her hollering at you as you are incinerating her personality cores.  Then the funniest song ever during the credits, Still Alive.  The biggest saying amongst the fans of this game is that the cake is a lie, its not, the cake was the sweet treat this game delivers in a budget package of five games at the price of one, which I bought for $20.

That was such a great game, I played through it again today and just had to write a blog about it.  Thanks for reading.  Don't let them take your companion cube....Or your cake.  Favorite part was when GlaDos was dropping you into the fire on the platform and all she talked about was not to worry about an equipment malfunctioning because it can withstand up to 4000 degrees Kelvin, like "Oh, you can be the cake but don't break our niffty gun". Bye ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment